The first of February 2007: Participate in the biggest mobilization of
Citizens Against Global Warming!
The Alliance for the Planet [a group of environmental associations, apparently based in France] is calling out to all citizens (which is blatantly rather silly of them, calling out to ALL citizens is going to create some problems, see notes below); 5 minutes of electrical rest for the planet. People all over the world should turn off their lights and electrical appliances on the 1st of February 2007 between,
- for UK/London 18.55 and 19.00,
- for New York 1.55 pm and 2.00 pm,
- for Paris, Bruxelles, Italy etc between 19.55 and 20.00 (all local time).
This is not about saving 5 minutes worth of electricity for that one day, this is about calling on the attention of the media, politicians, and social figures, telling them of the importance of immediate action! 5 minutes of electrical down time for the planet: this does not take long, and costs nothing, although you may miss the last 5 minutes of Hollyoaks on Channel 4.
Why February 1st? This is the day before the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) launches a summary for policy makers of “Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis” at UNESCO Headquarters.
IMPORTANT!! IF YOU ARE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING, BEST NOT TO TURN IT OFF:
- Airline pilot, currently at 55,000 feet
- Doctor on duty in Intensive Care unit
- Helicopter enthusiast inspecting the storm-damaged roof of your mansion from above, the repair bill will probably go up
- Living in a battery-powered submarine that is currently running away from a giant sub-eating squid
- In charge of the cooling plant at a nuclear power station
- Someone who has just walked into a room full of scorpions that have been specially trained to only sting when you turn the lights off
- Skydiving from 3 miles up using an electric parachute